Rev. J. Lotka, a native of Russian Poland, where he was brought up by his parents in strict orthodoxy, but as he arrived at the age of discretion, he somehow managed to study, besides Hebrew and the Talmud, the Polish and the German languages. Becoming acquainted with much Christian literature he had a great desire to read the New Testament, and this led him to give up the position of a Jewish teacher and to come to London for the purpose of receiving further Christian instruction by Dr. Ewald, who baptized him on November 22, 1863. About two years later he went from the Operative Jewish Converts' Institution to Basel, studied theology, and was sent out to labour as a Pastor among the Germans in Illinois, U.S.A. In 1879 he was appointed Professor of Hebrew in an Episcopal Seminary near Chicago, where he did also missionary work among the Jews. In 1872, he joined the L.J.S. and was sent to Lemberg, where he laboured for ten years, and visited many towns in Galicia. In 1881, after he had been on a tour of enquiry with the Rev. Frederick Smith in the Crimea, he was sent to Persia, where he remained from two to three years, and laid, so to speak, a solid foundation for the revived mission there. He subsequently laboured for a few years at Posen and Bucharest, and much longer in Birmingham, and then succeeded the Rev. J. C. S. Kroenig at Hull. He was the author of several tracts.